Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Society

I live in a society that values greed.

I live in a society that seeks power.

I live in a society that consumes like there’s no tomorrow.

I live in a society that is unsustainable.

I live in a society that loves big boobs and hard rock abs.

I live in a society that would rather spend hours upon hours of each day watching professional sports or fictional sitcoms than read books.

I live in a society that would rather read a sappy love novel about a vampire than anything that is real.

I live in a society that thinks humans are greater than all other organisms on the planet.

I live in a society that overwhelmingly values physical looks.

I live in a society full of distractions.

I live in a society that is against animal cruelty yet supports the brutal living conditions of animals in the meat industry.

I live in a society that eats meat at an incredibly high rate when most in it have never personally killed one cow.

I live in a society full of individuals who are obsessed with finding someone to get married and have babies with.

I live in a society that loves alcohol.

I live in a society that uses the word “hate” dozens of time each day.

I live in a society that manufactures poisonous chemicals in our everyday products.

I live in a society that is more worried about making gasoline out of corn than helping the starving masses of humans across the planet.

I live in a society that chooses to drink water that costs 900 times more than the water they could drink just because it comes with a fancy label.

I live in a society that is insecure on so many levels.

I live in a society that wastes away at the television set.

I live in a society that thinks tattoos and piercings are righteous individual methods of self-expression, like it matters or something.

I live in a society that loves marriage but loves divorce just as much.

I live in a society that is artificial.

I live in a society that needs to believe in a higher being to motivate itself to do good.

I live in a society that thinks you should go to college simply to get a better job.

I live in a society that fears.

I live in a society that is homophobic.

I live in a society that supports sweatshops by buying so many products in stores each day.

I live in a society that is scared of analyzing anything in depth.

I live in a society that would rather express itself through clothing and fashion instead of ideals, values, and personalities.

I live in a society that believes in pure evil.

I live in a society that feels peace can be attained through violence.

I live in a society full of pharmaceutical medications.

I live in a society that does not hug trees.

I live in a society that cannot tolerate temperatures below 60 or above 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

I live in a society that cannot cope with negative realities.

I live in a society that is lost.



I do live in a society, but I alone am not society. I am one human being and vow to be different.

Find the problem,
obtain the courage,
make the change.

-Teddy Grahams

1 comment:

  1. I hope this slaps everyone in the face, like it did to me.

    ReplyDelete

I get spam comments every day now, so I now require word verification to post something. I apologize for the minor inconvenience.