Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Great Speech of Sitting Bull

"The railroad was completed in 1883. Some of the owners thought it would be 'unique and interesting' to have an Indian speak at Northern Pacific's Golden Spike ceremony, and so requested a soldier bring in Sitting Bull. Sitting Bull deviated from his ghost-written speech to say in his native tongue, 'I hate you. I hate you. I hate all white people. You are thieves and liars. You have taken away our land and made us outcasts, so I hate you.' History does not record whether the translator hesitated before reciting instead the 'friendly, courteous speech he had prepared.'"

- Derrick Jensen, The Culture of Make Believe

No comments:

Post a Comment

I get spam comments every day now, so I now require word verification to post something. I apologize for the minor inconvenience.